AUS-CITY
Posted By: metaluna9 306 Passenger Window Implodes!!! - Sat 23 Oct 2010 09:50:PM
Today, waiting at an intersection for the lights to change to turn left, the passenger window of my 306 shattered. I was right next to a vacant tram stop, so I can't see how anything could have been fired at the car. Also, there were no objects to be found in the car or on the road. So I'm wondering, is it possible for the winder motor to exert enough pressure to shatter the glass. Has anyone heard of this happening and any suggestions where to take the car to be repaired (I live in East St Kilda).
Cheers,
Metaluna9
Posted By: robmac Re: 306 Passenger Window Implodes!!! - Sat 23 Oct 2010 10:12:PM
I had the same thing happen to a 2m x 3m office window whilst my desk was directly behind it.

To make matter worse it happened a few days after September 11 and it was on the top floor of our three level office.

It went off like a gunshot and made me fall off my chair and dive under the desk.

The glazier concluded the window glass was too tight in the aluminium frame and was restricted in it's expansion.

I certainly know it gave me one hell of fright. Almost needed a change of underwear. ooo

I would be checking the window is not too tight in the frame or the frame is out of alignment with the window.

See Dave Cavanaugh at French Connection for a replacement

French Connection
34 King St
Airport West VIC 3042
(03) 9338 8191

cheers

Rob
Posted By: metaluna9 Re: 306 Passenger Window Implodes!!! - Sat 23 Oct 2010 10:42:PM
Thanks Rob. Now that sounds like a frightening experience.
It certainly made a loud bang which gave me quite a shock but I was also perplexed at how it could have happened. Whenever I close the windows there's always 3 or 4 clicking sounds as though there's some pressure being applied. I'm very glad my girlfriend wasn't in the car!
Cheers,
Metaluna9
Posted By: Pierre Re: 306 Passenger Window Implodes!!! - Mon 25 Oct 2010 03:05:AM
The same thing happened to my 1994 306XT a couple of years ago.

I came back from work and saw a pile of glass on the road next to the car (left hand rear door window).

The glass was all outside the car, very little inside, indicating a force outwards.

A lady nearby told me she heard a loud bang at midday and came out to investigate.

I had closed the through car ventilation system that very morning. I assumed that the interior of the car had heated up in the sun and the expanded air had nowhere to go.

It was a new learning experience for me to replace the glass, but I got it done.
© AUS-CITY Message Forums