AUS-CITY
Posted By: frankfly Mobile DVD - Sat 09 Mar 2002 09:22:AM
Hi Guys..<p>I'm toying with the Idea of buying a $200.00 DVD player from Strathfield car radios, (like the XMS etc etc but smaller) and setting it up in the car for the kids..<p>Questions..<p>Do I need a voltage converter (12 to 240)?? or can I select 12V directly on the DVD like Dave's new one ??<p>If I use an old color laptop for the screen..<p>do any laptops use 12V ?<p>Do any laptops accept "S" video, AV of such as an INPUT..<p>If I mount the laptop to the cars ceiling is there any software available to invert the picture 180' so its the right way up...??<p>Will a CD Player work up side down, gravity etc ??<p>If I separate the screen from the laptops CPU unit, how long a distance can you run the cable between the two for ??<p>Don't suggest buying a laptop straight out, I'm told you need a PIII at 600Mgz to provide seamless streaming of DivX etc....at $3000.00<p>no way !!<p>cheers for now <p>Frankfly
Posted By: Webmaster Re: Mobile DVD - Sat 16 Mar 2002 08:41:AM
Hi Frank,<p>I would suggest buying the XMS-750, its $329.00 AUD from Strathfield Car Radio's. I like the 750 as it definately plays ANY zone, plays every format, etc, etc<p>Get a 12VDC inverter. I got one for $29.00 USD in the states. I will have to check the DVD spec (probbably best for you to look online and get the power comsumption), then you can make sure the inverter is big enough to power it.<p>Get a 12VDC Colour TV. You could get a 240V one, but I feel the DVD + TV means a big expensive inverter []images/icons/default/frown.gif" border="0[/] <p>Only problem I forsee is any DVD player is a 'fixture' and not intended for 'mobile' use, so if your driving I would expect drop outs ()like early CD players) []images/icons/default/frown.gif" border="0[/] <p>The DVD spec is so tight that vibrations from driving will cause problems, but if the XMS-750 skips, then your screwed at its the most tolerant of all machines.<p>Only thing to suggest is if you want it while driving is use a VHS tape player (player only they are cheap).<p>If you got source DIVX files you are going to convert to SVCD for the player (and yes that works great, SVCD is cool!), you can tape it to VHS.<p>If you really worried about quality, maybe I suggest SVHS, but the machines are much dearer and tapes more expensive, but you got 400 line quality []images/icons/default/smile.gif" border="0[/] <p>Basically yes its feasible easily, but disc skipping I feel will be the worst problem. The specs are not detailed enough to go into vibration and microphonics []images/icons/default/frown.gif" border="0[/] <p>Hope this helps?
Posted By: frankfly Re: Mobile DVD - Tue 19 Mar 2002 06:49:AM
Hi dave and thanks, <p>the laptop streaming Divx could get a little expensive...<p>and my Divex source just had his server limit cut, you know who...!!<p>poor fellas a little down these days..<p>gotta think of a way to cheer him up..<p>cheers Frank..
Posted By: frankfly Re: Mobile DVD - Wed 20 Mar 2002 07:09:AM
hey hey,<p>try this link...<p>a case of USA envy..<p>http://www.mp3car.com/hardwarecats.asp?Type=H&Cat=L
© AUS-CITY Message Forums