AUS-CITY
Posted By: PUGBUM 405 Mi16 oil leak.. - Fri 22 Oct 2010 03:42:PM
Howdy... by series 1 Mi16 is leaking.... a lot....

Oil seems to be going out somewhere under the intake manifold..

It is clean fresh oil... (probably because a couple of days ago it was in the bottle on my garage shelf.... and no it isn't over-spill..

Still is there anywhere 'common' that fails? My bet is the seal at the base of the intake pipe... I just can't see well enough to find out. Is there anyway to check short of removing the manifold?
Posted By: ARCHRIVAL Re: 405 Mi16 oil leak.. - Fri 22 Oct 2010 05:04:PM
another guess unless replaced all the breather and filler hoses under the said manifold are old hard perished and cracked its an old car thing hoses are all available at a price just done the valver
Posted By: PUGBUM Re: 405 Mi16 oil leak.. - Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:39:PM
I have only had the car four weeks...

So I have little idea of what was done in the past.

Yeap she is old... but well preserved. It still runs well for a 21 year old car with 290,000kms on the clock....

Does anyone have a picture or diagram of what the from of the engine looks like - hoses and all - I can't seem to find one?
Posted By: Scotty Re: 405 Mi16 oil leak.. - Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:48:PM
My guess would be oil pressure switch or oil pressure sender. They tend to crack and leak. They're both on the front of the engine just underneath the intake manifold.
Posted By: PUGBUM Re: 405 Mi16 oil leak.. - Sat 23 Oct 2010 05:11:PM
I put the beat on stands, cleaned all of the oil of with degrease then after a rinse, started the engine.

There are two tiny leaks... one from just above the air conditioner compressor and another from approximately the base of the oil filler hose.

I can hardly see either spot and figure the definately isn't coming out of the oil filter or it's base.

My only fear is it is a sump gasket, but the oil is 'clean' although this proves nothing.

What is above the compressor? Is this where the crankcase breather comes out?

I might as well buy a full set of hoses, and removed the inlet manifold and replace the lot.

I could see the oil pressure sensor well enough to be absolutely certain oil isn't weeping out of it's base, but it isn't 'broke' and certainly works well enough....

Still, I only bought this car to drive whilst I focus on an full engine rebuild on my 406.... grrr....
Posted By: pugwash Re: 405 Mi16 oil leak.. - Thu 28 Oct 2010 10:48:AM
think youl find its the oil filler hose ,if you detach it from the block and the hose that tees off it i think it comes straight up had to replace mine when i got the car 6 years ago ,dont remember where i got it ,had heard there nla
Posted By: PUGBUM Re: 405 Mi16 oil leak.. - Fri 05 Nov 2010 05:32:PM
I replaced the filler.... ($130 later) still leaking.... I am about to replace the sender.... and the crankcase breather........
Posted By: mikeJOHN 405 Mi16 oil leak.. - Fri 27 Apr 2012 11:53:AM
actually I don't have idea about oil pressure switch.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/karanchanana]karan chanana[/url]

© AUS-CITY Message Forums