AUS-CITY
Posted By: Alisa Sea Monster - Sun 02 Jan 2011 02:36:PM
The other morning when I woke I recalled experiencing "the sea monster" in my altered state. I have had an absolute terror of sea monsters since my earliest memories. I have noted sea monster dreams and memories quite a lot in my journal.

Anyway, in this latest experience I got near the sea monster and felt less fear. It was a good feeling, relieving.

I decided to look up sea monsters for something to sync and I came across the Google Earth sea monster. You may want to turn down the sound on this video (at least I like it turned down).

Posted By: dawn Re: Sea Monster - Sun 02 Jan 2011 04:27:PM
Interesting. I wonder where your fear of them stems from. I like that video. I think it's syncs perfectly with your experience.
Posted By: Alisa Re: Sea Monster - Sun 02 Jan 2011 05:50:PM
Thanks for your comments, Dawn. veryhappy About the sea monster... I don't know where it stems, but I think it is spiritually symbolic and somewhat like Tiamat ("a chaos monster, a primordial goddess of the ocean") from Babylonian mythology.

For me, spirit and physical reality are like either side of a coin. There must be or have been sea monsters, and what they mean is something that can swallow you and take you down right out of your landlubbin element!

My first memory of fear was when my mom took me on a boat ride at an amusement park when I was about 3 y.o. A mechanical sea monster would pop up at a certain point in the ride. The first time I saw it (during what I thought was a lovely, peaceful boat ride), I fell to the floor screaming in hysterics and I don't think I stopped (much to the horror of the other patrons) until we returned to shore or at least until the mechanical monster went back down.

I am sooo scared of the ocean. My Dad took my scuba diving off the coast of Cozumel when I was 17. I remember thinking, I am going to die. Not a joke, literal. I couldn't say no to my Dad after he paid for all of it, so I was just going to have to sacrifice myself in the most horrifying way by rolling off the back of the boat and into the sea and then straight into the jaws of the beast of the sea (maybe). But when I opened my eyes and my mask was in place and my regulator was providing oxygen, I totally relaxed and it became one of the most magical moments of my life (gotta be a big dollop of symbolism there)!

I have dreamed of sea monsters and those are my absolute scariest of all dreams. I'm Walking along a dark, dilapidated pier at night that goes out into water that looks like ink. I fall into the water. The shiny black head of a dragon-like sea monster rises out of the water beside me, its huge body underneath and right next to me, its eyes red and intelligent, and with tentacles of flesh like whiskers coming out of by the ears and cheeks (kinda like a Chinese dragon).

So, I think it represents my greatest fear, being plunged back into chaos and losing my individual identity. And the greatest opportunity to overcome my biggest fear. But I so don't wanna!
Posted By: dawn Re: Sea Monster - Thu 13 Jan 2011 08:19:PM
Do you remember the first one of my photos that you did an interpretation of? It was My photo that I called a woodland sea monster. I think it's ironic in a way because I never knew you had the fear and yet you still welcomed me and my photo and questions with open arms. Your kindness and understanding never ceases to amaze me. yeah
Posted By: Alisa Re: Sea Monster - Fri 14 Jan 2011 07:25:PM
Yes, I remember that photo...several of us had a different interpretation, but all saw it as a serpent (which validated my belief that energies exist as a certain type, but are seen in an individual way).

chuckle Well, I am fascinated by that which scares me and so I'm actually drawn to images that remind me of the sea monster. Spiders are also very representative of fear for me... I'm drawn and repulsed at the same time. Mostly I try to avoid though. oops

Thank you for seeing my efforts as valiant. grin
Posted By: orb_queen Re: Sea Monster - Fri 14 Jan 2011 09:20:PM
ha interestingly I just saw the last installment of the Narnia chronicles I believe "Treaders of the dawn" and in it was a huge scary sea monster. I was just telling Brandon at the movies how I thought they did a good job on the sea monster seeing that I never saw one like that before. It was quite different from many of the sea serpents in different shows but still quite scary!
Posted By: Alisa Re: Sea Monster - Mon 17 Jan 2011 05:50:PM
Oo, thanks for noting this synchronicity, OQ! If the attached image is of the sea monster from the movie, uhm, yeah, it is scary! And if it were black and slick (like the skin of a seal) it would look very much like the sea monster in my dream.

Attached picture seamonster.jpg
© AUS-CITY Message Forums