AUS-CITY
Posted By: Alisa Spelt Rolls - Mon 29 Mar 2010 08:03:PM
Have you had the pleasure of trying wholemeal spelt bread? Luckily I was introduced to it through my son's school where his class was learning to make bread and he brought some home. It was the most delicious bread I'd ever tasted, especially for a wholemeal type. It did not have the bitter taste I note in wholemeal wheat. Instead it was sweet and nutty. It is an ancient grain that is claimed to be easier to digest than wheat and possible for some wheat-intolerant people to eat without reaction.

My son helped me bake some of this at home. I make it into rolls (round flats like hamburger bun shape). It is most delicious to me cut in half and spread with real butter.

And it's sooo easy. Here's how we do it:

3 cups whole meal spelt flour
(I replace 1/2 cup with white spelt)
3 tsp dry active yeast
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Water

That's it. It's amazingly easy. I mix all the dry ingredients together then I gradually add the water until the dough is not sticky or dry. I don't think it matters too much the exact texture, as thus far it always turns out delicious. I do know from reading about spelt that it is important not to over-knead it (its protein does not react the same as that of wheat flour). So I just knead it a little bit in the mixing bowl. Maybe 2 minutes.

Then I shape it into flat rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet. I let it rise for approx. 30 minutes. Then into a 170C oven for about 15 min.

That's it! eat
Posted By: Alisa Re: Spelt Rolls - Thu 01 Apr 2010 05:36:PM
Here's a pici!

Attached picture spelt_rolls2007.jpg
© AUS-CITY Message Forums