|
|
|
0 members (),
1,586
guests, and
24
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
S |
M |
T |
W |
T |
F |
S |
|
|
|
|
|
1
|
2
|
3
|
|
4
|
5
|
6
|
7
|
8
|
9
|
10
|
|
11
|
12
|
13
|
14
|
15
|
16
|
17
|
|
18
|
19
|
20
|
21
|
22
|
23
|
24
|
|
25
|
26
|
27
|
28
|
29
|
30
|
31
|
|
There are no members with birthdays on this day. |
Volcano earthquake report for Tuesday, 6 October 2026
• M 0.1 - 12 km NE of Warner Springs, CA
• M 2.2 - 27 km E of Honaunau-Napoopoo, Hawaii
• M 4.4 - 58 km SSE of Camiña, Chile
• M 3.5 - 31 km SW of Dana Point, CA
• M 2.7 - 7 km SE of Goleta, CA
• M 1.3 - 112 km SSE of McCarthy, Alaska
|
#98285
Wed 30 May 2012 10:04:PM
|
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 678,977
Launch Director
|
|
Launch Director
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 678,977 |
Expedition 31 Flight Engineer Don Pettit writes about viewing the crystal structure of ice sheets in polarized light in his latest blog entry. http://go.usa.gov/dcy� Homemade Ice Sheets � Last weekend I asked if I could use one of the research freezers onboard Space Station during my off-duty time. I made thin sheets of water about a millimeter thick (sort of like a soap film, but without the soap), and froze them. Then I looked at the ice under polarized light, using a laptop display as the light source for one direction of polarized light and a filter I just happened to have in my personal kit to make "crossed polarizers." When the ice sheets were placed between the filter and the laptop screen, the crystal structure became vividly visible. I do not know at this time if the crystal structure is any different than normal ice, but I will find out. Meanwhile, we were unloading the supplies from Dragon. � Don's blog also appears at airspacemag.com
David Cottle
UBB Owner & Administrator
|
|
CMS The Best Conveyancing solicitors conveyancing quotes throughout the UK
For any webhosting enquiries please email webmaster@aus-city.com
|
|
Entire Thread
|
[space-blogs] Letters to Earth (Astronaut Don Pettit): Homemade Ice Sheets
|
Webmaster
|
Wed 30 May 2012 10:04:PM
|
|
Forums60
Topics859,019
Posts893,814
Members2,960
| |
Most Online102,106 Jul 10th, 2026
|
|
|
|
|
|