AUS-CITY Message Forums

AUS-CITY Group Forums

Come explore with us!

Please also visit: IDB.COM.AU - IDB.INFO - IDB.ASIA - IDB.AU
Race Control News and Results Feed
YouTube David 'The Captain' - YouTube Wesley 'Iceman' - YouTube Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Twitch.tv David 'The Captain' - Twitch.tv Wesley 'Iceman' - Twitch.tv Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Odysee - 'F1 - The Captain' - Oydsee - 'FiA - Iceman' - Odysee - 'KingScaron'
Join our discord server - 'Formula Racing Club'
Join our discord server - 'F1 Formula Racing Club'
Join our telegram server - 'Track Limits'

Search AUS-CITY
Search Worldwide
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 371 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
KSC PAD 39A
PAD 39A
KSC PAD 39B
PAD 39B
TLE DATA

IDB.COM.AU

For all your TLE downloads.

March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
AUS-CITY Recent Posts
Total solar eclipse 2024: Live updates
by Webmaster - Thu 28 Mar 2024 05:26:PM
Lego NASA Mars Rover Perseverance review
by Webmaster - Thu 28 Mar 2024 04:00:PM
AUS-CITY Latest Photos
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
"5greenheart" by MA
"5greenheart" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
"3moons" by MA
"3moons" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Popular Topics(Views)
AUS-CITY Earthquake Map
World Earthquake Map
AUS-CITY Advertisements
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10348 Mon 25 Oct 2004 03:35:PM
C
Chris Offline OP
Space Trainee
OP Offline
Space Trainee
C
Hi guys, i need some help. i want to set up a satellite dish in Shepparton for my grandfather (2 hours north of Melbourne) but im not sure what to do. I have done research on the internet and have some idea how to do it. My main goal is to get RAI International on AsiaSat2 but i would also like to get as many other channels on as many satellites as i can. Here is the system that i plan on getting:<br />Dish: STI Mesh Prime Focus - STI H/Duty, 2.3mtr(7'), Mesh, 4 Piece, Polar Mt, 76 Pole ($243.75)<br />LNBF: C-Band, 5150GHz LO - MTI - Dual Pol 5.15GhzLO, 3.4-4.2Ghz LNBF& Scalar ($45)<br />Receiver: Digital, Satellite FTA with Common Interface - R-TF3000CiP/Pro Topfield TF-3000CiP/Pro with In-built Positioner ($412.50)<br />Actuator: ACT024L Geotrack TD Series 24" Regular Actuator ($86.63)<br />Cable: Rg6 Black Quad Shield Coaxial Cable ($??)<br />Connectors: F Type Rg6 QUAD 0.36 Hex Crimp Connectors ($??)<br /><br />Total Price around $800 ($787.88)<br /><br />All parts are sourced from Melbourne Satellites (http://www.melbournesatellites.com.au/ms1/files/plist/RRP_Oct_04.pdf)<br /><br />I only want it for free to air (FTA) channels so i dont need Irdeto or CI slot.<br /><br />Will this system give me what i want? Is there anything missing that i need?<br />Do i need a bigger/different dish?<br />Which satellites will i be able to pick up with this dish? Thaicom3 78.5ºE to Intel701 180.0ºE?<br />Are Topfield good receivers? or should i go with the cheap STGold ST2000F ($191) + Moteck V-BoxII Positioner ($110) - save $111.5<br />How do i know which actuator to get? 12" 18" 24" Regular/Heavy Duty?<br />Do i need special cables to connect the positioner to the actuator?<br />Do i need a reed sensor?<br />Are Melbourne Satellites cheap or is there somewhere else i can go for a better price. I live in Melbourne so i can go pick up the parts. Im not sure how much it would cost to get them delivered.<br /><br />Any help would be much appreciated.<br />Thanks alot<br /><br />Chris.

AUS-CITY Advertisements

UBB Central
Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.
AtomicSecured Linux
CMS The Best Conveyancing solicitors conveyancing quotes throughout the UK
For any webhosting enquiries please email webmaster@aus-city.com
Assistant Launch Director
Assistant Launch Director
Chris<br /><br />This is very hard to explain via a post or an email and because there are very few people you can talk to face to face, it makes it even harder. If you were next door to me, I could explain the basics reasonably quickly, but like most of us including me, we all had to find out the hard way. Mainly by reading and more reading. As there are very few people willing to help. <br /><br />As for your dish, you would like to look at the European bouquet, where RAI is, your equipment will be ok, but there are too many variables for a novice and its not easy to find a satellite with no experience. You must have the correct elevation and azimuth (up, down, east and west) to be on Asiasat 2 to find RAI and at the same time you have the problem to use your receiver to find that satellite. What I recommend is if you know anyone with a dish on Asiasat 2 or can steer one to Asiasat 2, take your receiver over there and fully program it with all the channels on Asiasat 2, also, take your C-Band LNBF over there and test it to make sure the skew is noted (the skew is the positioning of the LNB relevant to Asiasat 2), in other words, it has to be a little bit turned to the left or right to be in the right position. Now, if you know the position of where the LNBF is going and your receiver is fully programmed and it has a reasonable signal meter then the last thing you have to do is find the satellite.<br /><br />If I was you, I would get help for the first time. Look what he is doing and learn as I will say it again, there are too many variables that will not give you a picture.<br /><br />Phil

C
Chris Offline OP
Space Trainee
OP Offline
Space Trainee
C
Thanks for your feedback Phil.<br />What about if I buy a satellite finder:<br />SatfinSF95 Satellite Finder SF-95 with 3Ft Fly Lead, 22Khz Indicator $49.00<br />Is that enough to find the satellite by adjusting the Az/El and LNBF Tilt while checking the signal on the satellite finder?<br />I know someone who has the RAI channel but i'd rather not go to his house and mess with his equipment (he had his professionally installed so he doesnt know anything about satellite equipnent).<br />Is it possible for me to find the satellite using a satellite finder and a compas?<br />Thanks.<br /><br />Chris.

Z
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Z
get ID DIGITAL receiver from melbourne satellites and 24 inch actuator(if you are going to move the dish contantly get the heavy duty one) and READ READ you will find all the answers here or google. SatFinder will help.

Moderated by  LAZER, Liski 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Rtuneion, JohnReid, nguyenthanhthuon, Rug_Rig_Fitness, Shelly
2,957 Registered Users
Pictures

NASA Picture of the Day

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day

Picture of the Week

Latest SOHO Solar Image
The latest solar image from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)

NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center

Live Web Cam's
Live Sydney Harbour Bridge Looking South

Live Sydney Warringah Freeway

Live Sydney M2 Motorway Lane Cove

Live Sydney Anzac Bridge

Live Hilo Bay Hawaii

Live Australian Antarctica Casey Division

Live Australian Antarctica Mawson Division

Live Mount Fuji - Japan

Ny-Alesund - Antarctica

AUS-CITY Live Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
Top Posters(30 Days)
Webmaster 3,311
Alisa 379
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics680,797
Posts715,405
Members2,957
Most Online3,142
Jan 16th, 2023
Top Posters
Webmaster 381,903
Alisa 64,175
Jedi Knight 4,142
reuder 557
apsattv 517
ShaRp 408
Big Chief 377
Flux 208
HQSS 138
Copyright 1996 - 2023 by David Cottle. Designed by David Bate Jr. All Rights Reserved.
By using this forum, the user agrees not to transfer any data or technical information received under the agreement, to any other entity without the express approval of the AUS-CITY Forum Admins and/or authors of individual posts (Forum Admins and DoD/USSPACECOM for the analysis of satellite tracking data).

Two-line elements (TLE) and all other satellite data presented and distributed via this forum and e-mail lists of AUS-CITY are distributed with permission from DoD/USSTRATCOM.

UBB Central

Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.

AtomicSecured Linux

Reprise Hosting