I had to put my results out there somewhere regarding dishes, particularly ceramic (Corelle) coming out of the dishwasher smelling swampy, but more specifically like a wet dog, and what has been the solution to end the smell.

I searched the Internet and found many people suggesting that eggs or egg residue on dishes creates the smell. And this I found to be most probably true! For several days I loaded the dishwasher with dishes having no egg on them in any form and voila, there was also no smell.

However, I had an inkling that it was the detergent (Finish tablets with the red ball imbedded) that may also have something to do with the smell because, remembering back, when I first began using the dishwasher, I had purchased a different detergent (a less expensive type that came in plastic dissolvable pods) and had never noticed a smell.

So I experimented and purchased a similar inexpensive detergent in the dissolvable pods, and I actually washed eggy dishes in the dishwasher with it. There was no smell at all left on the Corelle or on any other dishes or in the washer itself.

My conclusion is that some chemical within the Finish detergent tablets interacts with the sulfur in the eggs creating the offensive smell. it is possible that the minerals in my water and maybe an element in the Corelle dishes is part of the equation. I'm not sure, but it doesn't matter since the problem is now solved.

Hope this helps someone else. Leave a comment, if so. You do not need to be a member of these group forums to leave a comment or post here.