August 27, 2003<br /><br />James Hartsfield<br />Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas<br />(Phone: 281-483-5111)<br /><br /><br />Release: #J03-92<br /><br />STATEMENT FROM JSC DIRECTOR ON RELEASE OF THE CAIB REPORT<br /><br />Since the loss of the shuttle Columbia and her valiant crew, we at the<br />Johnson Space Center have shared many difficult days as we devoted ourselves<br />to supporting an investigation of the accident while coping with our own<br />deep emotions and grief. I am proud of the courageous job our team has done<br />in that effort, and I am grateful for the exemplary diligence and dedication<br />the Columbia Accident Investigation Board has given its task.<br /><br />The JSC team is fully committed to complying with the board's<br />recommendations and improving the safety of human space flight. We are<br />driven in that task by an unshaken deep belief in the value our efforts hold<br />for our nation and the world. I am confident that from these difficult days<br />will come a better future for human space flight.<br /><br />Jefferson D. Howell Jr., Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center Director