<PRE><FONT SIZE="2"><BR>SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-159.01<BR>JUNE PRESIDENTS LETTER<BR> <BR>AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 159.01 FROM AMSAT HQ<BR>SILVER SPRING, MD, JUNE 08, 2001<BR>TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS<BR>BID: $ANS-159.01<BR> <BR>I often wonder how many people reading this message via ANS,<BR>the AMSAT BB or AMSAT web sites around the world are actually<BR>members of an AMSAT organization. Certainly, one of the places to<BR>learn about the Amateur Radio satellite hobby is via the Internet, and<BR>I know that our sister organizations, like AMSAT-NA, are filled with<BR>information to support your hobby.<BR> <BR>I know that there are a number of readers who use the provided<BR>information without any intention of becoming a member of AMSAT.<BR>I encourage them to become members, as the benefits of membership<BR>are many!<BR> <BR>First, you receive the AMSAT Journal which provides a wealth of<BR>information on current AMSAT topics as well as providing valuable<BR>information on current satellite station equipment suppliers.<BR> <BR>Secondly, you get to choose the members of the Board of Directors<BR>from the list of people who have volunteered to be on the board. In fact,<BR>you have the opportunity to volunteer for the Board, or to be a part of<BR>any aspect of AMSAT that you would like. We are always looking for<BR>new volunteers!<BR> <BR>Third, you are kept informed on AMSAT activities, through the various<BR>AMSAT bulletin boards, Internet listings and news services. Certainly,<BR>if you are a member and you write to me, you will be sure to get a<BR>personal reply.<BR> <BR>Most importantly, as a member you are supporting your chosen hobby,<BR>because without members there would not be an AMSAT as we know it.<BR>None of the mentioned aspects of AMSAT would exist and most of the<BR>OSCAR satellites would never have been launched. Without you<BR>AMSAT would be just a few experimenters who would raise enough<BR>money to launch very small satellites occasionally.<BR> <BR>A week ago I had the pleasure to visit the Rochester Hamfest and I<BR>enjoyed my day very much. We had a successful day with both new<BR>memberships and people renewing current and lapsed memberships,<BR>but, there were still quite a number of visitors to the AMSAT booth<BR>who were anxious to get information and are working satellites, but<BR>declined the offer to join AMSAT. Several even commented to me<BR>that they enjoyed this column!<BR> <BR>I am pleased to see that on the AMSAT BB there is much discussion<BR>about AMSAT and it's mission and the definition of our the new satellite<BR>project. I have asked Larry, VE3LK, (who started the discussion with his<BR>'AMSAT has a secret' message) to read and summarize your responses<BR>so that I can get an overall understanding of your comments. You can<BR>appreciate that to read them all takes a lot of time. <BR> <BR>AMSAT is run with volunteers, all who try and share the work load, so<BR>when you use the phrase "AMSAT should", please remember it should<BR>really be "the AMSAT volunteers should." Then possibly you can<BR>volunteer to help make it happen.<BR> <BR>See you on the birds!<BR> <BR>73,<BR> <BR>Robin Haighton, VE3FRH<BR>President AMSAT-NA<BR> <BR>[ANS thanks Robin Haighton, VE3FRH, President AMSAT-NA<BR>for this information]<BR> <BR>/EX</FONT></PRE>