AUS-CITY Message Forums

AUS-CITY Group Forums

Come explore with us!

Please also visit: IDB.COM.AU - IDB.INFO - IDB.ASIA - IDB.AU
Race Control News and Results Feed
YouTube David 'The Captain' - YouTube Wesley 'Iceman' - YouTube Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Twitch.tv David 'The Captain' - Twitch.tv Wesley 'Iceman' - Twitch.tv Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Odysee - 'F1 - The Captain' - Oydsee - 'FiA - Iceman' - Odysee - 'KingScaron'
Join our discord server - 'Formula Racing Club'
Join our discord server - 'F1 Formula Racing Club'
Join our telegram server - 'Track Limits'

Search AUS-CITY
Search Worldwide
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,218 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
KSC PAD 39A
PAD 39A
KSC PAD 39B
PAD 39B
TLE DATA

IDB.COM.AU

For all your TLE downloads.

April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
AUS-CITY Recent Posts
Here kitty kitty kitty [Hero]
by Alisa - Thu 25 Apr 2024 02:35:PM
AUS-CITY Latest Photos
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
"5greenheart" by MA
"5greenheart" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
"3moons" by MA
"3moons" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Popular Topics(Views)
AUS-CITY Earthquake Map
World Earthquake Map
AUS-CITY Advertisements
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jp #50336 Fri 22 Oct 2010 12:47:AM
E
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
E
Originally Posted by jp

I've landed a spare in the mean time, Pugrambo, do ya want it??

Jp

AF in tatters but some things never change.

Onya mate.

P

AUS-CITY Advertisements

UBB Central
Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.
AtomicSecured Linux
CMS The Best Conveyancing solicitors conveyancing quotes throughout the UK
For any webhosting enquiries please email webmaster@aus-city.com
alexander #50338 Fri 22 Oct 2010 01:09:AM
UFO Offline
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Originally Posted by alexander
oh how exciting! no doubt the site history can be recovered from one of those archive-the-whole-internet things, as was referred to in an earlier post. even if not, however, it doesnt really matter; have years of old posts is like having a history of your own emails - it is comforting to know it is there, but it is rarely looked at.

you cant relive history by having a record of it.

alexander.

And more than 10 years of collected knowledge relating to the repair and running of French cars. Na, nothing we can't rebuild. Now we'll just see how we can go with resurrections - so that we can regain the knowledge from those who have left us in the past couple of years.

The information on AF was searchable and was used and quoted by people around the world.

Craig K

Find our data GoDaddy
Webmaster #50347 Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:04:AM
A
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
A
UFO, i know its a downer and a complete bitch, but the above is about having a particular attitude to life.

if, perhaps, AF could never be recovered, then as anyone's problems and queries arise, they will be answered again in due course, as they were before. there is nothing which has been lost but the searchability.

Last edited by alexander; Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:05:AM.
UFO #50348 Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:11:AM
H
HKP Offline
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
H
Originally Posted by UFO
oh how exciting! no doubt the site history can be recovered from one of those archive-the-whole-internet things, as was referred to in an earlier post. even if not, however, it doesnt really matter; have years of old posts is like having a history of your own emails - it is comforting to know it is there, but it is rarely looked at.

you cant relive history by having a record of it.

alexander.

And more than 10 years of collected knowledge relating to the repair and running of French cars. Na, nothing we can't rebuild. Now we'll just see how we can go with resurrections - so that we can regain the knowledge from those who have left us in the past couple of years.

The information on AF was searchable and was used and quoted by people around the world.

So true. I would love to be able to just search for AlanS's posts about repacking the bearings in the XU engine tensioners sad
Hahaha, he'd have had a ball with the smiley vampire happyrun page, WOW it's just awesome.

Last edited by HKP; Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:19:AM.
HKP #50349 Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:18:AM
H
HKP Offline
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
H
Some of these would just suit AF down to the ground...... l_sabre offtopic standoff flamewar This one is so right now for us. overact

Webmaster #50352 Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:54:AM
V
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
V
latest I can see on wayback (Jul 30, 2008)

http://web.archive.org/web/20080729233139/www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php

What is there...
http://web.archive.org/web/*sa_/http://www.aussiefrogs.com

Last edited by vivid; Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:55:AM.
Webmaster #50359 Fri 22 Oct 2010 04:07:AM
N
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
N
Sorry to hear about the computer glitch.
Was go daddy reviewing posts and decided to help aussiefrogs change servers - remember the second gunman on the grassy knoll!!

Webmaster #50360 Fri 22 Oct 2010 05:23:AM
E
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
E

If we've got to rebuild the site, regain what we've lost, does that mean Ray Bell comes back...

Exfrogger #50368 Fri 22 Oct 2010 08:52:AM
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
Another day without AF crying
Can someone PM me about front discs for a 307...are the 2001 to 2003/4 discs the same and is there a cheap australian supplier??? bond

Guys, let's support each other through this time of pain... grouphug
bottled dancingcow grouphug2

Love the smilies.... dino

Webmaster #50369 Fri 22 Oct 2010 09:03:AM
G
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
G
Sad, but in line with the laws of nature which say that the reliability of backups is inversely proportional to their value.

Meanwhile, cheer yourselves up by looking again at some of the interesting cars I see on our French excursions.
go to
http://apaca.eu
and click on "Sorties" and "Albums"
if it hasn't crashed.

I was hoping to refer back to my postings over the years to write a chronicle on the evolution of the auto industry but then I have more exciting things to do.

Gerry, if you ever get the data back I will shout you a bottle of Champers, if not I will still pat you on the back (metaphorically, as my arms aren't that long) for having given us such a valuable forum for so long.

HKP #50370 Fri 22 Oct 2010 09:47:AM
K
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
K
sunshine
Know what you mean, about The Knowledge of posts like Alan S, I have come to rely on them as a fund of info, being new to Xantias and having limited experience with motors. I find the history of back posts a gold mine of resources.

On a different note ,For the GTi BX ,we managed to get the tensioner on the alternator belt, to stop rumbling(could not get a replacement) by gently heating it on a hot plate and packing it with teflon grease,this is expensive stuff ($1k for a small tub)but we manged to scrounge some from an engineering firm, thanks Parr and Co.

Teflon grease is a white high pressure ,high viscosity

the bearing is offset from the tensioner bracket and tends to twist when worn,crap design ,but Via la difference,tis French.

jp #50375 Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:26:AM
P
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
P
Originally Posted by jp
Bummer about the site going down.
Good luck with getting it back online guys.

My fuego is fully finished and back on the road after the accident.
It looks great too, even if I say so myself.
I've landed a spare in the mean time, Pugrambo, do ya want it??

Jp

yeah Jo

you know how much i love floppygo's

so much so i think i have found their usefulness after all these years

read previous post laugh

Exfrogger #50377 Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:32:AM
P
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
P
Originally Posted by Exfrogger

If we've got to rebuild the site, regain what we've lost, does that mean Ray Bell comes back...

please we are in enough pain already without adding that to it

hey Jo i think i might have found a 2nd use for a floppygo

starting to realise their potential now :P

Webmaster #50384 Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:11:PM
P
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
P
G'day,

this is a bit confusing

regards

Webmaster #50385 Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:16:PM
A
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
A
let me address your confusion: all the files which make up the AF website have been deleted by the host. and the backup. lord knows how they managed that, but voila. you are now looking at a site to where the AF IP address has been directed. you log in here with any name you choose, but obviously sensible people will use the same username as they had with AF. mind you, mischevious types might, for instance, choose a user name of someone that irritated them, but i would not support such a thing personally. honestly. now you have chosen a username here, you can chat just like on AF with many of the same people, until the good old AF is back up and running, which it will be in due course. in the meantime it is a bit like being a displaced person after a war. and this is the contact pinboard. or to look at it another way, imagine you are 6 years old and lost at the Easter Show. this is the lost children area.

Last edited by alexander; Fri 22 Oct 2010 02:18:PM.
Webmaster #50403 Fri 22 Oct 2010 06:12:PM
A
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
A
Thanks, guys, for doing all you can to resurrect the site. Our thoughts are with you 'cos we are mortified at the loss and can't wait to get our own aussifrogs back again.

In the meantime in aussieflog I had advertised my Marlin Berlinetta. The car is now sold after over 15,000 hits on the ad - amazing. It will be running around the Punchbowl area in Sydney and the fellow is v youthful so don't think I have had a facelift - not yet!

Best wishes to all our technical gurus and readers

Alastair

Webmaster #50405 Fri 22 Oct 2010 07:11:PM
H
HKP Offline
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
H
That's great Alistair.

"imagine you are 6 years old and lost at the Easter Show. this is the lost children area."
alexander, that's just so true. Imagine it though, all these mostly 35-45 year old french car fans walking around looking lost

N
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
N
See Alistair,
There just had to be someone out there who loves old orphan British kit cars (besides yourself)!
Mal

alexander #50419 Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:49:PM
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
imagine you are 6 years old and lost at the Easter Show. this is the lost children area.

[/quote]

le cité des enfants perdue?

Mon dieu, this is serious.

alexander #50422 Sat 23 Oct 2010 12:05:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
....you choose, but obviously sensible people will use the same username as they had with AF. mind you, mischevious types might, for instance, choose a user name of someone that irritated them, but i would not support such a thing personally. honestly.

I'm not entirely sure you're you. I've consulted a handwriting expert .................

clink

Mike.

Webmaster #50423 Sat 23 Oct 2010 12:20:AM
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Just an update.

I am quietly confident about a backup of the database from March 2006. I know it's a while ago but it may be all we have unfortunately.

You'd never expect a fail safe service of every day & 7 days worth of backups with godaddy to have any fear of deletion. It's just terrible what has happened.

The copy of the database is on the new server but David needs to pull it back down as there is no shell access to restore it remotely. Hopefully this time tomorrow we will at least have our familiar site back. Mistareno has all the theme & graphics so we can get the same look.

I will post the direct link to the site once is ready so we don't have to wait for DNS.

With the 4.5 years gap perhaps we should archive what's there & start again?
Or just continue with AF 2?

gibgib #50430 Sat 23 Oct 2010 12:57:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Gibgib,

Reading around godaddy has this to people before. They also managed to get the data back.

You are doubtless in a better position to know, but is absolutely definite all is lost ?

Thanks

Rob

gibgib #50432 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:17:AM
M
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
M
G'day,

I had a rather bad feeling that all might be lost the other day when you explained what happened.

I'm still suprised they don't have a seperate external monthly dump of the databases, but anyhow...

Just let me know when you're right to go with the forum and I will FTP the images into the correct folders and upload the template file.

Should be only 30 minutes work from my end...famous last words.

Let me know the FTP details by email.

I'm home tomorrow night and should be able to do it then if things are right to go at your end.

Did you have any luck looking through the browser history? Does it look like an incorrect button link on the godaddy page as discussed?

Originally Posted by gibgib
Just an update.

I am quietly confident about a backup of the database from March 2006. I know it's a while ago but it may be all we have unfortunately.

You'd never expect a fail safe service of every day & 7 days worth of backups with godaddy to have any fear of deletion. It's just terrible what has happened.

The copy of the database is on the new server but David needs to pull it back down as there is no shell access to restore it remotely. Hopefully this time tomorrow we will at least have our familiar site back. Mistareno has all the theme & graphics so we can get the same look.

I will post the direct link to the site once is ready so we don't have to wait for DNS.

mistareno #50434 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:24:AM
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Originally Posted by mistareno
G'day,

I had a rather bad feeling that all might be lost the other day when you explained what happened.

I'm still suprised they don't have a seperate external monthly dump of the databases, but anyhow...

Just let me know when you're right to go with the forum and I will FTP the images into the correct folders and upload the template file.

Should be only 30 minutes work from my end...famous last words.

Let me know the FTP details by email.

I'm home tomorrow night and should be able to do it then if things are right to go at your end.

Did you have any luck looking through the browser history? Does it look like an incorrect button link on the godaddy page as discussed?

Just an update.

I had a look at browser history in Firefox. It doesn't state the date & time or anything but I did a screen grab of the entries & URL's in case I need them in court.

Is there a way to get the times? & even the web page cached on this machine?

I see you are still online so will flick you an email now. The forum won't work yet as there is no DB attached.

Ron_Rundle #50435 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:30:AM
A
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
A
Originally Posted by Ron_Rundle
imagine you are 6 years old and lost at the Easter Show. this is the lost children area.

le cité des enfants perdue?

Mon dieu, this is serious.

yes, it is serious. our dreams have been stolen, and only Gerry can rescue us!

Last edited by alexander; Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:31:AM.
robmac #50436 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:30:AM
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Originally Posted by robmac
Gibgib,

Reading around godaddy has this to people before. They also managed to get the data back.

You are doubtless in a better position to know, but is absolutely definite all is lost ?

Thanks

Rob

They got it back?
How?

Where did you find the info on this?

We have been told I think it's 5 times now in separate communications on the phone & 5 times on email that the data was deleted the instant the account was supposedly deleted, including the separate expensive different machine with 7 days of back ups & all.

Webmaster #50437 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:35:AM
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
FYI this is what was paid for only last Tuesday the 19th:

Product Name Unit Price Qty Total Price
Dedicated Server - Renewal (monthly) $79.99 1 $79.99
Billing for 10/19/2010. aussiefrogs
Dedicated RAM Upgrade (to 2GB Server Total) - Ren... $16.99 1 $16.99
Parallels Plesk Panel (30 Domain Pack) - Dedicate... $19.99 1 $19.99
Disk Space Upgrade (300GB) - 1st Drive - Renewal... $19.99 1 $19.99
Processor Upgrade (Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz) - Renewal... $29.99 1 $29.99
Parallels Plesk Panel Pack Deluxe - Dedicated Ser... $4.99 1 $4.99
300 GB FTP Backup - Renewal (monthly) $29.99 1 $29.99
Bandwidth Renewal (recurring) $0.00 1 $0.00
Bandwidth/DiskSpace for 10/19/2010. aussiefrogs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal: $201.93
Tax: $0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL: $201.93

Webmaster #50438 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:36:AM
A
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
A
note that Vivid said he could see an archive of the site as of March 2008. it is one of the earlier posts from today. post #50352

Last edited by alexander; Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:38:AM.
gibgib #50440 Sat 23 Oct 2010 02:18:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1

-----------

FWIW Just a thought, and I could be way off here as it may well be a grey area but I wonder if this (regarding Godaddy) might be something the Telecommunications Ombudsman would deal with?

http://www.tio.com.au/consumerInfo.htm

If not the Department of Consumer Affairs?

*2cents*

Kaye
sunshine77 #50442 Sat 23 Oct 2010 02:50:AM
UFO Offline
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Originally Posted by sunshine77

-----------

FWIW Just a thought, and I could be way off here as it may well be a grey area but I wonder if this might be something the Telecommunications Ombudsman would deal with?

http://www.tio.com.au/consumerInfo.htm

If not the Department of Consumer Affairs?

*2cents*

Kaye,

Pretty sure the TIO and CA jurisdiction ends at the shoreline. Godaddy is a USA mob

Craig K

Find our data GoDaddy
UFO #50446 Sat 23 Oct 2010 03:03:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Originally Posted by UFO

Kaye,

Pretty sure the TIO and CA jurisdiction ends at the shoreline. Godaddy is a USA mob

You may well be right Craig though none, if any, of our telcos are 100% Aussie owned. I wonder how that works.

Anyway, just throwing in the suggestion for FWIW.

Kaye
UFO #50447 Sat 23 Oct 2010 03:11:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Originally Posted by UFO
mob

Excellent description. Unfortunately.

clink

Mike.

gibgib #50455 Sat 23 Oct 2010 11:04:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Hi Gibgib,

I sent an email to Shane, he was going send you a copy via Facebook.

There was some some dude who changed payment types and lost the the lot. GD managed to get it back for him.

Trawling GD support comments via google, I can glean persistence is the key to success.

You need to keep escalating you issues.

I'll try to find the link and post it here, but it's a few days ago now.

cheers

Rob

robmac #50458 Sat 23 Oct 2010 11:44:AM
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Hi Rob,

I saw that one. That's a different thing as it was only a domain name & no data involved. It would have remain parked with godaddy but they were initially unaware or unwilling to tie it back to the customer's account.

alexander #50465 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:04:PM
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
. mind you, mischevious types might, for instance, choose a user name of someone that irritated them, but i would not support such a thing personally. honestly.

If I catch anybody impersonating me I'll be absolutely livid.

gibgib #50466 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:06:PM
R
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
R
bloody hell

somebody call somebody

Robjer #50472 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:35:PM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Di if you want to impersonate someone you are welcome to my green bikini and skimpy bra - but it might send Mike over the top laughing

australdi #50476 Sat 23 Oct 2010 01:41:PM
A
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
A
Originally Posted by australdi

If I catch anybody impersonating me I'll be absolutely livid.

wait a moment, that doesnt sound like the thing the real Di would say...

alexander #50477 Sat 23 Oct 2010 02:06:PM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
I'm calling shenanigins. Addo hasn't registered yet?

clink

Mike.

Mimis_dad #50486 Sat 23 Oct 2010 04:05:PM
A
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
A
Originally Posted by Mimis_dad
I'm calling shenanigins. Addo hasn't registered yet?

clink

Mike.

mike, i think you have hit a bullseye with the first shot.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  VA3DBJ, Webmaster 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Rtuneion, JohnReid, nguyenthanhthuon, Rug_Rig_Fitness, Shelly
2,957 Registered Users
Pictures

NASA Picture of the Day

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day

Picture of the Week

Latest SOHO Solar Image
The latest solar image from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)

NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center

Live Web Cam's
Live Sydney Harbour Bridge Looking South

Live Sydney Warringah Freeway

Live Sydney M2 Motorway Lane Cove

Live Sydney Anzac Bridge

Live Hilo Bay Hawaii

Live Australian Antarctica Casey Division

Live Australian Antarctica Mawson Division

Live Mount Fuji - Japan

Ny-Alesund - Antarctica

AUS-CITY Live Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
Top Posters(30 Days)
Webmaster 3,065
Alisa 597
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics684,257
Posts718,865
Members2,957
Most Online3,142
Jan 16th, 2023
Top Posters
Webmaster 381,903
Alisa 64,175
Jedi Knight 4,142
reuder 557
apsattv 517
ShaRp 408
Big Chief 377
Flux 208
HQSS 138
Copyright 1996 - 2023 by David Cottle. Designed by David Bate Jr. All Rights Reserved.
By using this forum, the user agrees not to transfer any data or technical information received under the agreement, to any other entity without the express approval of the AUS-CITY Forum Admins and/or authors of individual posts (Forum Admins and DoD/USSPACECOM for the analysis of satellite tracking data).

Two-line elements (TLE) and all other satellite data presented and distributed via this forum and e-mail lists of AUS-CITY are distributed with permission from DoD/USSTRATCOM.

UBB Central

Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.

AtomicSecured Linux

Reprise Hosting