AUS-CITY Message Forums

AUS-CITY Group Forums

Come explore with us!

Please also visit: IDB.COM.AU - IDB.INFO - IDB.ASIA - IDB.AU
Race Control News and Results Feed
YouTube David 'The Captain' - YouTube Wesley 'Iceman' - YouTube Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Twitch.tv David 'The Captain' - Twitch.tv Wesley 'Iceman' - Twitch.tv Alisa 'Black Mamba'
Odysee - 'F1 - The Captain' - Oydsee - 'FiA - Iceman' - Odysee - 'KingScaron'
Join our discord server - 'Formula Racing Club'
Join our discord server - 'F1 Formula Racing Club'
Join our telegram server - 'Track Limits'

Search AUS-CITY
Search Worldwide
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 341 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
KSC PAD 39A
PAD 39A
KSC PAD 39B
PAD 39B
TLE DATA

IDB.COM.AU

For all your TLE downloads.

April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
AUS-CITY Recent Posts
AUS-CITY Latest Photos
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
"5greenheart" by MA
"5greenheart" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
"3moons" by MA
"3moons" by MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Art By MA
Art By MA
by Alisa, July 27
Popular Topics(Views)
AUS-CITY Earthquake Map
World Earthquake Map
AUS-CITY Advertisements
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Schlemiel #50806 Tue 26 Oct 2010 10:36:AM
F
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
F
Originally Posted by Schlemiel
Can't speak for the others, but having the same real-life nickname since 1990, makes me a little precious when it's appropriated for an unspecified end.

I have been known as Fingers since 1979.

AUS-CITY Advertisements

UBB Central
Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.
AtomicSecured Linux
CMS The Best Conveyancing solicitors conveyancing quotes throughout the UK
For any webhosting enquiries please email webmaster@aus-city.com
Fingers #50807 Tue 26 Oct 2010 11:35:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
[quote=FingersI have been known as Fingers since 1979. [/quote]

Dare one ask why?

clink

Mike.

Mimis_dad #50809 Tue 26 Oct 2010 11:44:AM
P
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
P
Originally Posted by Mimis_dad
[quote=FingersI have been known as Fingers since 1979.

Dare one ask why?

clink

Mike.[/quote]

please no

my head can't take it today lol

i reg'd at the other site to show that the fake pugrambo is not me

but i also gave a few posts laugh

pugrambo #50810 Tue 26 Oct 2010 11:51:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Originally Posted by pugrambo
[but i also gave a few posts laugh

I see some cheeky barstard pom has also posted.

I just can't think who that was. yess

clink

Mike. aka hopeless.

PS. If there is an AF with the username hopeless I'll apologise now.

Last edited by Mimis_dad; Tue 26 Oct 2010 11:52:AM. Reason: speeliytng
Mimis_dad #50813 Tue 26 Oct 2010 12:08:PM
S
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
S
It had been intimated to me that a particular AF member was behind the ring-in.

I've been in contact with them, and they deny any involvement. In a way, I'm pleased. Saved me an airfare, LOL.

Also Mike, that two smilies with pots of beer thingy, reminds me of Smiffy, our Bristol member (other than Doc Chevron)...

Mimis_dad #50814 Tue 26 Oct 2010 12:22:PM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
[quote=Mimis_dadI see some cheeky barstard pom has also posted.

I just can't think who that was. yess

[/quote]

Meant to say, please feel free to comment in a similar vein. If they ban us all they're stuffed, right?
I'm looking forward to Friday night and very much doubt I'll still be a member when I wake on Saturday. ban happyrun

clink

Mike.

T
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
T
Originally Posted by Armidillo
So is it best to totally ignore Aussie French cars, or join up (but not actually participate) and thus prevent misuse of "our" familiar user names.

It is better NOT to join.

Every added member, whether legitimate or not, adds to their site traffic, as does posting their link in here.

What a crazy thing to do, especially if you don't want a rival of any sort to get the better of you. (I realise the person who posted the link is not the owner of aussiefrogs, and possibly has no real interest in seeing aussiefrogs resurrected.)

How can you stop them using an alias? If they register "pugrambo" and the aussiefrogs pugrambo registers as "pugrambo_real" someone else can then register "pugrambo_fake" or whatever, and on and on you go.

The site will die without users.

Are mlb, Pugrambo, Double Chevron et. al. concerned about someone else using "their" aliases - is this "real" identity theft, or just a bit of a laugh?

It certainly is not identity theft. An alias or nickname on a website is not a true identity. If no one else registers, the fake/stolen aliases will all die a natural death.

On balance, I'd prefer not to register, as I don't know how safe it is to give these guys my email address etc. -

It's probably attempted site-loyalty theft. It's not a joke, or not one in good taste.

Cheers ;-)

The T

A
Space Cadet
OP Offline
Space Cadet
A
Originally Posted by Trevor_G
Originally Posted by Armidillo
So is it best to totally ignore Aussie French cars, or join up (but not actually participate) and thus prevent misuse of "our" familiar user names.

It is better NOT to join.

Every added member, whether legitimate or not, adds to their site traffic, as does posting their link in here.

What a crazy thing to do, especially if you don't want a rival of any sort to get the better of you. (I realise the person who posted the link is not the owner of aussiefrogs, and possibly has no real interest in seeing aussiefrogs resurrected.)

Cheers ;-)

The T

I certainly am interested in seeing AF resurrected (although naturally it's not a financial interest)!

I posted the link to keep froggers informed of what is going on, and doing so has led to the discovery of a suspicious connection between this new site and Godaddy. People were definitely going to discover it for themselves anyway, as it's advertised on eBay, and goodness only knows where else!Discussing it here means that people are better informed and are less likely to stumble across the new site accidently and possibly mistake it for the real thng (especially as the number of fake posts builds up...).

I agree that the best policy now is to keep right away - don't even look, as that would keep the traffic counters ticking over, and defer it's inevitable demise.

Last edited by Armidillo; Tue 26 Oct 2010 03:10:PM.
J
jp Offline
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
J
Originally Posted by Trevor_G

It's probably attempted site-loyalty theft. It's not a joke, or not one in good taste.

Cheers ;-)

The T

I tend to find all the best jokes are in bad taste.

Jo

Mimis_dad #50825 Tue 26 Oct 2010 05:37:PM
F
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
F
Originally Posted by Mimis_dad
[quote=FingersI have been known as Fingers since 1979.

Dare one ask why?

clink

Mike. [/quote]
Ask my brother, his name is Toes.....

Schlemiel #50827 Tue 26 Oct 2010 06:04:PM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Originally Posted by Schlemiel
It had been intimated to me that a particular AF member was behind the ring-in. .....

jester
The who-dunniting is a tad amusing coming from some who joined up leaving us to guess who they were. poke hi

I said which aussiefrogs member I was when I joined but have taken it off my sig. now ........ it might get pinched again.....hysterical

Kaye
Armidillo #50831 Tue 26 Oct 2010 08:26:PM
B
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
B
I, like many, don't like the thought that someone else could become me. Whilst only an AFer since late last year it has been a great ride.
Met some new faces, renewed friendships and got the odd part. Helped where I could and suffered the odd brain snap.
If at all possible when the new and improved AussieFrogs re-launches I would like the pseudonyms to be correctly assigned. Nothing lifts my spirits more than a post from "some Yorkshire gas fitter" as I know it will provide entertainment.
The thought that others could use "our" good names for mischief and worse abhors me. Not being that tech savvy and/or conversant as to the nice way to protest disapproval of cyber identity theft. I like my 'name' and would not like it besmirched.
Possibly another task I've just burdened GibGib and the leading lights with!

Mimis_dad #50867 Wed 27 Oct 2010 04:08:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
[quote=Mimis_dadI see some cheeky barstard pom has also posted.

[/quote]

Well, how surprising, some person has deleted my thread.

Doesn't do much for the self-esteem when a bunch of half-baked dickheads think you're not good enough. peeved2

clink

Mike.

Fingers #50868 Wed 27 Oct 2010 04:16:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Originally Posted by Fingers
ask my brother, his name is Toes.....

You're not related to the judge who hasn't got any fingers by any chance?

You must know the guy I mean,.....Justice Thumbs thumbsup

clink

Mike.

Armidillo #50880 Wed 27 Oct 2010 11:49:AM
F
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
F
Not that I am aware

M
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
M
I confess to going over and having a quick look at the other forum. To save you all the same trouble there's FA going on. The posts are crap and 19 of the 35 members have made 48 posts in 14 forums. About 47 of those are rubbish teehee

T
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
T
Hi everyone
That other site is not an issue anymore, popped in to check and they have closed down due to lack of support!!!!! although I like many others have appreciated being hosted here it will be great to have AussieFrogs back and really great to have as much as possible data retrieved. keep up the good work everyone.
Neil

S
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
S
Hey guys, I signed up to the forum and made a post under the name of "The sceptic". I just received this email from the website.

Hi,

Thanks for joining AussieFrenchCars.com

The Australian French Car community has made it clear to us that there is no requirment for another internet forum on the topic of French cars in Austrlalia.

We accept this position with grace, and wish AussieFrogs a speedy recovery.

It was never our intention to "compete" with or "hijack" or "muscle in" on AF, we just felt that as that site was up for sale / up and down all the time and now gone altogether the community might want an alternative.

You've told us that no you don't so all good!

Here is a link there:

http://www.AussieFrogs.com

Thanks

Hayden

H
HKP Offline
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
H
Originally Posted by sideways
Hey guys, I signed up to the forum and made a post under the name of "The sceptic". I just received this email from the website.

Hi,

The Australian French Car community has made it clear to us that there is no requirment for another internet forum on the topic of French cars in Austrlalia.

It was never our intention to "compete" with or "hijack" or "muscle in" on AF, we just felt that as that site was up for sale / up and down all the time and now gone altogether the community might want an alternative.

[b]You've told us that no you don't so all good!

Here is a link there:

[/b]

Thanks

Hayden

teehee bananna chuckle dancing laughing2 yess
They are cowabduction

There is an email address, we need to send an email a day to them from every single one of us to fill their inbox and really piss them ORF.

aussiefrenchcars AT gmail dawt com

Last edited by HKP; Wed 27 Oct 2010 07:55:PM.
HKP #50909 Wed 27 Oct 2010 09:18:PM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
not sure I'd waste the 30 seconds to bother emailing them as I don't exactly want to give them my email address wink

but I will take 30 seconds to say that closing that site was probably the best decision they've made all year.

Originally Posted by HKP
Originally Posted by sideways

Hi,

[b]You've told us that no you don't so all good!

Here is a link there:

[/b]

Thanks

Hayden

teehee bananna chuckle dancing laughing2 yess
They are cowabduction

There is an email address, we need to send an email a day to them from every single one of us to fill their inbox and really piss them ORF.

S
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
S
i dunno i found the whole thing rather amusing.

spar #50919 Thu 28 Oct 2010 12:23:AM
S
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
S
Maybe you're missing something.

Forget the humour a minute, even leave out the social functions. Right at the "guts" of AussieFrogs was a committed group (by no means a static collection; people came and went) - who shared what they were doing, with the idea it might benefit or inspire others.

David_S and the Xantia antisink valve. Magic and his incredible "lobster back". Double Chevron and his CX respray. Dino's shed. Gibgib and his 2CV rebuild. Owen Wuillemin's CNC mastery. The list could go on for ages.

To me (and a good few others, who may or may not post much), that was the kind of stuff which kept people coming back. Mocking it by assuming usernames and engaging in pretend antics, was a petty spoiling of the good bits.

That's why some of us got a bit irate! It's a three-dimensional thing, with real people, real cars and real grime and that element deserves respect.

Armidillo #50925 Thu 28 Oct 2010 01:31:AM
Astronaut Level 1
Astronaut Level 1
Good post Schlemiel, you said it so well, thank you.

I’d also like to add that the overall true enthusiasm and goodwill of the majority of aussiefroggers
and the very kind help here from the AUS-City folks by allowing us to share their space
(that's not meant to be a pun clown3) more than makes up for some of the not so pleasant stuff that can happen on the internet.

Kaye
HKP #50929 Thu 28 Oct 2010 02:10:AM
Space Trainee
Space Trainee
Originally Posted by HKP

Couldn't be bothered. I suspect they have learnt their lesson along with the wasted expenditure in time and webhosting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  VA3DBJ, Webmaster 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Rtuneion, JohnReid, nguyenthanhthuon, Rug_Rig_Fitness, Shelly
2,957 Registered Users
Pictures

NASA Picture of the Day

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day

Picture of the Week

Latest SOHO Solar Image
The latest solar image from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)

NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center

Live Web Cam's
Live Sydney Harbour Bridge Looking South

Live Sydney Warringah Freeway

Live Sydney M2 Motorway Lane Cove

Live Sydney Anzac Bridge

Live Hilo Bay Hawaii

Live Australian Antarctica Casey Division

Live Australian Antarctica Mawson Division

Live Mount Fuji - Japan

Ny-Alesund - Antarctica

AUS-CITY Live Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
IDB Weather IDB Weather
Top Posters(30 Days)
Webmaster 2,927
Alisa 534
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics683,495
Posts718,103
Members2,957
Most Online3,142
Jan 16th, 2023
Top Posters
Webmaster 381,903
Alisa 64,175
Jedi Knight 4,142
reuder 557
apsattv 517
ShaRp 408
Big Chief 377
Flux 208
HQSS 138
Copyright 1996 - 2023 by David Cottle. Designed by David Bate Jr. All Rights Reserved.
By using this forum, the user agrees not to transfer any data or technical information received under the agreement, to any other entity without the express approval of the AUS-CITY Forum Admins and/or authors of individual posts (Forum Admins and DoD/USSPACECOM for the analysis of satellite tracking data).

Two-line elements (TLE) and all other satellite data presented and distributed via this forum and e-mail lists of AUS-CITY are distributed with permission from DoD/USSTRATCOM.

UBB Central

Interactive forums from Space, Science and Technology To General Interest, Personal and Spirituality.

AtomicSecured Linux

Reprise Hosting