Christmas Eve 24.12.2008

ok guys I wish to tell you that we had a small but victorious win today.
How's that you ask?
The regular readers know that as a Registered Nurse(Mental Health endorsed)by law I am a mandatory reporter as per Public Health Act 2005 -section 191 and 192.
But as I have been up close and personal with docs recently I am very wary of them. I sniff out my allies within my peers and argue on behalf of the client if the question is ever raised 'do we need to contact child safety?'.
And just that happened today.
An unsuspecting, zealous clinician might have brought a client case to docs' attention (and I've previously seen it happen through reading the client file) when this was asked but I openenly debated about the prevention being better than cure arguement (incidentally the docs style of cure is snatch and grab). We discussed what services are around, discussed appropriate referrals and I documented very closely and clearly. It's all above board and that is why I will publically state this.
But I am worried about the ignorant health professionals who notify without being aware of the outcome from docs involvement in children and their families lives(my not so secret endeavour to educate these ignorant nurses/ health professionals!).
And as I drove home just now I thought about how I can honestly say that something good has come out of my involvement and awareness of docs. My motives are alturistic in nature.
I remember what my psych educator said (The now deceased Mr Denny Cowell) "remember whose needs we are meeting".
I wish the department would realise this as we know they aren't meeting the child's needs.

Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas. Hope you all have a safe and good break.

Last edited by thisisgood; Tue 23 Dec 2008 09:06:PM.